- Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia - May 25, 2016
- Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia: Septal Perforation and Nose Bleeds - May 23, 2016
- Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia: Epistaxis and Septal Perforation - May 18, 2016
- Wegener’s Granulomatosis: Autoimmune Disease and Multi-Focal Septal Perforation - May 9, 2016
- Kyle Korver: Facial Injury and Nasal Fracture - March 24, 2015
- Russell Westbrook: Facial Injury and Surgery - March 5, 2015
- Mega-perforation: Pushing the Limits of Septal Perforation Repair - November 26, 2014
- Septoplasty Complication and Septal Perforation - November 24, 2014
- Nose Picking (Rhinotillexis) and Septal Perforations: Why I should stop picking my nose…? - November 24, 2014
- Nasal Fractures, Septal Hematoma, and Septal Perforation: Simultaneous Rhinoplasty and Septal Perforation Repair - October 1, 2014
Rumors abound in the press daily about which celebrity has had which surgery. Beyoncé is one of the latest celebrities to have the floodlights pointed her way. Speculation is that Beyoncé had a celebrity rhinoplasty sometime after welcoming Blue Ivy into the world. It was suggested that she debuted her new nose at her Superbowl performance.
Dr. Jason Hamilton, Director of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the Osborne Head and Neck Institute, and a specialist in African American Rhinoplasty weighs in.
- Make-up: her make up in the two shots is entirely different. Make up for a stage performer is always stunning and dramatic so that it picks up on wider-angle cameras. The shadowing done on either side of her nose during her performance make Beyonce’s nose appear narrow and gives the appearance of a rhinoplasty. This is not the case.
- Angle: The most minor head tilt completely affect how light reflects off the nose. Unless the shots are exactly at the same angle, judgments cannot be accurately made about the shape of the nose.
- Lighting: The coloring, angle and intensity of lighting on stage cast shadows that are usually eliminated with more uniform studio lighting helping to shape the appearance of Beyonce’s nose on an off stage.
- Activity: Stand in front of a mirror and breathe in very quickly through your nose. Take a picture while you do this. Has your nose changed shape? If your breathing deeply, most likely so. The nose is a dynamic structure that moves with facial expression and activity (breathing heavily). In Beyonce’s case her high-energy dancing would affect the shape of her nose do to breathing causing the nostrils to collapse. If a photograph is snapped at the right moment…Beyonce just had a “rhinoplasty” albeit a photographic rhinoplasty.
Conclusion: It does not appear that Beyoncé recently had a rhinoplasty procedure.
Learn more about African American celebrity rhinoplasty and read review about Dr. Jason Hamilton at the African American rhinoplasty website.
To learn more about the voice, click here.