- Folded Ear in Newborns: Treatment Options - April 11, 2018
- Newborn Ear Deformity: What Can Be Done? - April 11, 2018
- Ear Molding: An Overview - November 2, 2017
- Otoplasty for Protruding Ears - September 26, 2017
- Basal Cell Carcinoma: Facial Reconstruction Timing - September 26, 2017
- Clinical Considerations of Mohs Reconstruction of Cheek Defect - September 26, 2017
- Basal Cell Carcinoma: Nasal Bridge Reconstruction - September 26, 2017
- Skin Cancers Involving the Eyebrow: Clinical Considerations - October 3, 2016
- Treatment of Multiple Skin Cancer Lesions - June 1, 2016
- Skin Cancer: Nasal Reconstruction and Scar Management - June 1, 2016
Recent news of Bruce Jenner’s gender transformation has brought to light some of the struggles of the transgender population. Generally speaking, transgender individuals live in a body that feels foreign to them. Plastic surgery can assist with the physical transformation from male to female. These surgeries include sexual reassignment as well as facial transformation procedures.
When gender transformation is from male to female the series of facial surgeries performed are called facial feminization surgeries. These include procedures to address the following areas:
- Prominent forehead and heavy brow/eyes
- Male nose and flat cheek bones
- Wide jawline and prominent chin
- Bulging Adam’s apple
When addressing the forehead it is important to note that the male forehead has a prominent eyebrow ridge. This can be sculpted to become less apparent. Eyebrows can be raised and the eyelids can be reshaped to appear more feminine. The female nose is generally smaller with no noticeable hump. In some individuals there is a slight slope to the tip of the nose. The cheeks are more prominent towards the front of the face and less so towards the sides. The chin is not as protruded in females and the jaw line is less noticeable. Finally, the Adam’s apple is not visible in most females.
All of the changes above can be accomplished through reconstructive surgery. This is a long process with multiple procedures to address different sites and any decision to have these types of procedures should be done in consultation with a qualified facial feminization specialists.